Assistant General Counsel
Tara Hartman joined the Office of the Vice President and General Counsel in 2012. Her practice at the University of Michigan focuses on patent, technology transfer, and research legal issues.
Prior to joining the University, Tara was an in-house patent attorney for Whirlpool Corporation since 2006. She also practiced at a Detroit area intellectual property law firm. She has experience in domestic and foreign patent prosecution and management, IP and commercial transactions, and other IP related issues.
- counseling on intellectual property and licensing matters;
- negotiating agreements on behalf of UM relating to intellectual property and research;
- transactions and counseling related to UM’s receipt of equity as part of licensing transactions;
- addressing and litigating intellectual property and research disputes;
- counseling and managing patent prosecution relating to UM research; and
- policy and administrative projects relating to technology transfer.
Tara received her law degree from the Wayne State University in 2004 and her B.S. in mechanical engineering from Oakland University in 2001.
Tara may be reached at (734) 763-4783, or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org