Associate General Counsel
Rick Brandon joined the Office of the Vice President and General Counsel in 2000. His practice at the University of Michigan focuses on patent, technology transfer, and research legal issues, including:
Prior to joining the University, Rick was a partner in a Chicago intellectual property law firm, where he practiced since 1991. He has had significant experience in domestic and foreign patent prosecution, licensing, and other technology and IP related issues. He also has substantial experience in patent litigation in various United States Federal District Courts, as well as reexamination, reissue and protest proceedings in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- counseling on intellectual property and licensing matters;
- negotiating agreements on behalf of UM relating to intellectual property and research;
- transactions and counseling related to UM’s receipt of equity as part of licensing transactions;
- addressing and litigating intellectual property and research disputes;
- counseling and managing patent prosecution relating to UM research; and
- policy and administrative projects relating to technology transfer.
Rick received his law degree from the University of Michigan in 1991 and concurrent bachelor degrees in Chemistry and Spanish from Wayne State University in 1988.
may be reached at (734) 763-0614, or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org